Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lesson 48: “Come unto Christ” Charity and Gaining a Testimony of The Book of Mormon

Lesson 48: “Come unto Christ” Charity and Gaining a Testimony of The Book of Mormon

Attention Activity:
Before class prepare about 10 cards that have written on them different priorities in life (house, money, entertainment, friends, work, family, God, prestige, looks, athletics). There are a couple of ways to do this activity. You can have all students prioritize the ten items on a piece of paper, or have the class work together to prioritize them by bringing up 10 students and have them hold one card each for the remainder of the class to see. Bring up another student and tell them that you want them to put the cards in order of what is most important, from least to greatest, in their lives. Tell them that the key to knowing their true priorities is to ask yourself would you be willing to give up this for that if you had to make a choice. Have the student move the card holding students around and put everything in priority. Ask the class what the connection is between love and sacrifice. (What we love the most is what we are most willing to sacrifice for. The card that is your highest priority is what you are willing to give the most up for.)

Class Discussion:
Tell the class that today you are going to discuss a specific kind of love. Turn to Moroni 7:47 to find the kind of love that Moroni wants to teach us about. (pure love of Christ or charity). Ask, “If love requires sacrifice, what does that teach us about what is required for ‘pure love?’” (Requires pure sacrifice or ultimate sacrifice.) Now have class members look in verse 45 and have them find the one characteristic of charity that they think takes the most sacrifice. Discuss answers for a few minutes. The two main questions that we need to answer about charity are, “How do I get it?” and “Why do I need it?” Discuss the answers to these questions on verse 48. This part of the lesson could take the whole class, but try to keep it fairly quick because you need to get to Moroni 10. If I were teaching this lesson, at this point I would have someone read Moroni 10:3-5 and share my testimony and experience gaining a testimony of The Book of Mormon and then give the rest of the time to the class to share their testimonies on The Book of Mormon. You might ask class members to keep it on topic (The Book of Mormon) and to keep it fairly brief so more class members get a chance to share. If you feel that some class members might not share their testimonies, you might prepare a few stories of people and their testimonies. Two that you might consider are included below.

Parley P. Pratt spoke of the Book of Mormon as the principal means in directing the entire course of his life. In describing his first reading of the book he said:
“I opened it with eagerness, and read its title page. I then read the testimony of several witnesses in relation to the manner of its being found and translated. After this I commenced its contents by course. I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep.
“As I read, the spirit of the Lord was upon me, and I knew and comprehended that the book was true” (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, p. 20).
Elder Spencer W. Kimball had a similar experience and spoke of his “adventure” with the Book of Mormon:
“May I tell you of a great adventure? As I traveled to a weekend assignment, I took with me an unusual book which was my constant companion. I could lay it down only to sleep, eat, and change trains. It fascinated me, captivated me, and held me spellbound with its irresistible charm and engaging interest. I have read it many times.
“As I finished it, I closed the book and sat back, absorbed as I relived its contents. Its pages held me, bound me, and my eyes were riveted to them. I knew the book was factual, but as has been said, ‘Truth is stranger than fiction.’ . . .
“I found in it life at its best and at its worst, in ever-changing patterns. I hardly recovered from one great crisis until another engulfed me. . . .
“This dramatic story is one of the greatest ever played by man. . . .
“Its story has a vital message to all people. . . .
“Archaeologists may be excited as they read of ruins of ancient cities, highways, and buildings. . . .
“Journalists will find in this book crisis after crisis, presenting rich material for limitless climactic stories. . . .
“This unparalleled book should intrigue navigators. . . .
“The student of economics will find in this unusual book the disintegration of nations through pride, soft living, and luxuries, terminating finally in hunger and fetters. . . .
“The astronomer and geologist here may see signs in the heavens and new stars come into focus, three days without sun . . . nights without darkness . . . and a vapor of darkness so impenetrable that no glimmer, nor candles, nor torches, nor fire could give any light. . . .
“Engineers will learn . . . that . . . centuries ago, men erected buildings, temples, and highways with cement. . . .
“The psychologists may find studies in human behavior and the workings of the human mind and the rationalizing processes where men convince themselves that ‘good is bad, and that bad is good.’ . . .
“The educator will find treasures of literature and poetry. . . .
“This comprehensive book should be studied by politicians, government leaders, kings, presidents, and premiers to see the rise and fall of empires, and the difference between statesmanship and demagoguery. . . .
“Scientists will read of unusual instruments never patented or remade or duplicated, of elements which, without recharging, illuminate dark spaces indefinitely. . . .
“Military men may learn much in strategy, intrigue, in movements, in morale. . . .
“But after all, it is not the book’s dramatic crises, its history, its narrative that are so important, but its power to transform men into Christlike beings worthy of exaltation.
“It is the word of God. It is a powerful second witness of Christ. And, certainly, all true believers who love the Redeemer will welcome additional evidence of his divinity. . . .
“My beloved friends, I give to you the Book of Mormon. May you read it prayerfully, study it carefully, and receive for yourselves the testimony of its divinity” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1963, pp. 62–65, 67–68).

No comments: